Monday, June 8, 2009

THERE ARE NO MISTAKES IN LIFE; ONLY LESSONS...

Well, it’s been a while since I have updated my blog and a lot has happened since then. I completed training in Guarambare, celebrated with my group in the capital, Asuncion, was fortunate enough to go home and visit the newest addition to our family—my grandson, Azael, my daughter, the new mother and my son, the new Marine, as well as the rest of my family & friends, all of whom I miss very much!

I am now at my site in Barrio Laurelty in San Lorenzo, Paraguay, which is the second or third largest city in Paraguay (I get different answers on this issue). My host family is wonderful! I live with Dona Blanca, Don Cisco and their two granddaughters, Mariela (11 years old) and Lujan (5 years old,) who are very beautiful, fun-spirited, sweet little girls, along with their dog, Poochie. They have welcomed me into their home and family as if I am part of it.

I will be working with various schools in my community and the only adolescent hospital in the country, which provides services to pregnant teenagers 11-19 years old. At the schools, I plan on reading to the younger grades and doing art projects. With the older kids, I plan on teaching environmental education, self-esteem, English and preventative pregnancy. At the adolescent hospital, my plans are to teach child development, newborn baby care and family planning. I have no idea how I’m going to accomplish all of this, but these are the needs I’ve identified, in my community, the past 6 weeks. However, I have true faith that with the support of my Paraguayan counterparts, Peace Corps resources and other volunteers, I feel confident that over the next two years, I can do this! Aww…the power of suggestion!!

Today, is an example of the frustrations and obstacle blocks I encounter-- I showed up at the primary school I’ll be working at, only to find out the Director wasn’t going to return until the afternoon (possibly,) so my contact (one of the teachers) tells me “come back on Wednesday.” I then hop on the bus (oh, what a joy,) go to the hospital, only to be told “come back tomorrow,” so I can do some observations. How many times is this going to happen???

Initially, I felt really discouraged and disappointed because, although I’ve only been out of training for 6 weeks, I have this urge to feel like I’m doing something, so I text my faithful friend Joe in New York and he said “Well, if they don’t want your help then just don’t try as much. It will get better. The longer you’re there, the more the people will look for your help. Just give it some time.” What great advice!! Thank you, Joe! It made me remember that, despite wanting to get my projects started, I have to remember that I am a foreigner and need to give others a chance to get to know and trust me. So, this just means I have to work harder on being consistent and constantly showing my face, so they know I really do want to be part of their community and want to help.

So, that being said…I’ll continue visiting and drinking terrere and mate dulce with the neighbors, practicing my Spanish and Guarani, getting to know my community and just giving myself time, as well as the community, to get comfortable with my presence…

Hence: There are no mistakes in life; only lessons. - - By Julie Fuimano, Personal & Career Coach

No comments: