Friday, March 27, 2009

RANDOM SHIT (EXCUSE THE TERM)...

I really did try to come up with another/better term, but there is nothing more suiting than this title. Along with being humbled the past couple of months, I have managed to also find humor in all the random shit I’ve observed and/or have done, since I’ve been here and have to share with you all. So, here goes…

· A diesel flying by on a busy route with about 8-10 teenage boys sitting on top of (not in) the cab of the truck
· Walking down the unpaved streets and ripping my gladiator sandals and having to hobble back to my house
· Getting lost on a morning run, which was meant to be only 20 minutes, but ended up being 45
· Having one dog barking at and chasing me—only to be joined by 6 others (for no apparent reason, other than to let me know I was in their hood)
· A vacant lot where garbage is burned one day and kids playing volleyball in it a couple of days later
· A battered and deep fried boiled egg
· Running out of water during my shower with my hair full of shampoo and having to tip toe (in order to avoid cracking my skull open on the concrete floor) over to the sink to rinse it out
· Blowing up my blow dryer because I forgot to use the surge adapter
· Families of up to 4 (including infants and/or toddlers) ALL together riding on motorcycles with no helmets
· Being 3 miles from town on a bus and having to walk in the scorching heat because the bus had a flat
· Having to sleep with my mosquito net only 10 inches above me because the ceiling’s too high in order to hang (I’ve become Spider Man)
· Trying to make a Skype call without it dropping 8 times before it finally goes through
· Drinking beer in front of the gas station, along with several others (common hang out in Paraguay)
· Hearing Boy George on a local radio station (this makes me very happy)
· Strategizing my walks to coincide with the shaded parts of the streets
· Attending class outside and seeing two dogs attack and kill a chicken within 15 feet of me
· Bus rides and learning to forget all about “personal space”
· Cows , horses and chickens roaming about freely and knowing their way back home
· Cats, instead of dogs, begging at the dinner table
· Being sick with a temperature of 102 and not knowing which end the junk’s going to come out of (I’m convinced I have dengue—I don’t)
· Being best friends with my flashlight (hey, it’s dark in my room)

Life is good… Miss and love you all.

No comments: