Thursday, March 12, 2009

RESPONSE TO THE INDIVIDUAL WHO LEFT SEVERAL “ANNONOYMOUS” DERROGATORY MESSAGES TO MY POSTS

As is clearly posted on my blog site: DISCLAIMER: THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE, PERSONALLY, AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT AND/OR THE PEACE CORPS.

I will only say a few things in response to the mean, unfounded and fruitless comments left by the mysterious “anonymous” individual who has chosen to call me a racist. First and foremost, I have NEVER been accused of being a racist and there has not been one single thing I have written in my blogs that any intelligent, perceptive individual could ever construe as being racist. Not to mention the fact, I am Hispanic myself…

I’m sorry if this individual or anyone has been offended by my comment that I was surprised at how attractive Paraguayans are and that I expected they would be more indigenous looking (refer to my post dated 02/14/2009). I don’t see how any of that can be construed as racist--perhaps a little uneducated about the culture/people, but certainly not racist. In fact, my comments in my blog are reflective of why it is just as important that Peace Corps volunteers not only show the people of the countries in which we are sent to, a different view of Americans, but that we, volunteers, ourselves learn not to make prejudgments and learn about and be exposed to a different culture, as well. In fact, I specifically said “I guess that’s a good example of ignorance on my part and/or preconceptions.”

If “anonymous” is, in fact, a RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer)—this individual should know just how much volunteers sacrifice by giving up 2 years of their lives to live in foreign country in order to help others. So, derogatory, unfounded comments such as the ones I had to erase are very hurtful and saddening.

Adjusting to a new way of life and being away from my loved ones is difficult enough, than to receive hurtful comments from someone (i.e., a supposed RPCV) who should know exactly what I am going through.

I can only hope this individual will refrain from passing unjustified judgments in the future and will rethink his/her approach. I am all about constructive criticism, advice and feedback, but not when it comes to hurtful, unjustified comments…

By no means were/are my posts meant to upset and/or offend anyone. .. I am merely sharing my journal/experiences with my friends, family and those who are interested in reading about them.

God Bless…and I will update about my experiences very soon!

1 comment:

Jenna said...

WOW! I don't know who got off telling you that you were racist and whatnot, ESPECIALLY if they are an RPCV......and especially considering that you are of hispanic decent in Latin America.

Vivian, absolutely nothing in your writing conveyed ANYTHING other than excitement about learning of a new culture and country. Don't worry about anything you wrote or could write in the future, I thought it was fabulous, and tho you only have written a few posts, I have definitely been looking forward to more.

Any true RPCV should know better, know the "wonder" a new PCV/PCT goes through in a brand new country. My guess is that this person is not really an RPCV, or ETed/had to leave early and only claims to be a full fledged RPCV who knows everything. Which clearly, he or she doesn't.

Don't worry about that person, keep on writing how you were, I loved it!